Tuesday 1 September 2015

THE SPARK OF INSPIRATION BEHIND ALEXI K's 'ELECTRONIQUE'

In 2013, I did a great bunch of articles for my black & white art mag MONOBLOG, featuring current sci-fi film-making gurus Anthony Scott Burns, Ash Thorp and Bradley ( GMunk ) Munkowitz.




Looking for a cool custom background for one of these editions - and inspired by the utterly beautiful 'graphic user interfaces' that some these guys specialize in - I found a very ordinary electronic diagram, and abstractified it until it started to look interesting. 

It's like any other collage. You chop / rotate / mirror / cut / paste / edit , according to the configurations that suit your personal sense of balance.

Like a Rorschach test, you start to think you can see things amongst all the lines and shapes.

Below: Alternative Iteration, 2013




For example, to me, the picture above evokes an eerie A.I. version of the Turin Shroud


( Detail below ).




Shortly afterwards, I was still in this mode when I submitted one of the many iterations to Bucketfeet...lo and behold, it's now a shoe!


Below: Alternative Iteration, 2014