Friday 5 August 2016

GREEK ODYSSEY FLASHBACK

A few years ago, I was still in my 'transitional phase' - apologies for sounding like an extra from Annie Hall - but anyway, this was the time between my illustration phase and my painting phase. Basically, my paintings were more like large illustrations.

'Odyssey To The Orient' was a multi-national exhibition curated by Paulien Lethen of New York's Holland Tunnel Gallery. Pauline had seen a couple of my Hokusai homages ( of his famous illustration The Great Wave ), and included them as part of this rather beautiful show on the island of Paros, in the Cyclades, Greece.

I'm including this short clip from that exhibition, to show the amazing talent on the island, and also to remind myself what a Greek summer evening is like: art, heat, music, drink, and unbelievably loud crickets.